Rovilson Fernandez: Ambassador For Keeping Active



Rovilson Fernandez knows that he's not the best, the fastest, or the strongest in his sport, high intensity interval training (HIIT). He’ll be the first to admit that there are other people “who are truly phenomenal, competing at the global level and setting personal records weekly.”

And yet, somehow, the popular TV host has become one of the faces of HIIT in the Philippines.
Rovilson believes it all boils down to sheer love for the sport. “My passion is unrivaled. I love introducing and teaching people about it because I think it should be a collective effort when you train. The more the merrier as they say. You can flake out on yourself, but not on other people. It’s just better that way, and definitely more fun. ” he said.

And if there’s one thing that he knows about being active, it’s that it’s much better when you have company. This stems from his childhood, when life revolved around playing with his four brothers and the neighborhood kids. “We didn’t have Atari, Nintendo, or any other electronics growing up. Our parents didn’t buy us any toys, but we had each other and a creek and a lake right next door and our high school was across the street,” he said. “Just being active in sports has always been a part of my life and I love that.”

Today, the active lifestyle has transcended into a career for Rovilson. It certainly helps with his hosting, as it helps boost his confidence. “In my industry, it’s all about confidence. And one of the ways to be confident is to look good (physically) and when you look good, you feel good – those go hand in hand,” he said. “So if I work out and I maintain my health, the body will eventually mold into a physique I like and I feel good about myself. That will translate on stage, print, TV, radio, when I’m hosting or when doing interviews. Sports and fitness absolutely complement what I do in my career.”

Not to say that he doesn’t know how to take it easy. Rovilson also enjoys traveling, and when he goes on vacation, he certainly goes all out. “I work so hard when I’m in Manila that when I go off on a vacation, I really want to enjoy myself. But since I’m not working out physically and there isn’t a gym in every place I go to, the best way to stay on track is to watch what I eat,” he said. “You know us Pinoys, we like to go beyond the call of duty when it comes to food. It’s time that nutrition and reading labels are a part of being healthy too. Everything is about portions now.”

And for those looking for a push in their own fitness goals, Rovilson has this say: “I hate to sound like a cliche, but just go out there and do it. Be active, challenge yourself, be scared, be brave and incorporate other people into your fitness journey. If you go alone, you go faster, but if you go with others, you go farther.”


Photo and interview opportunity courtesy of GoWell, Sun Life Financial’s wellness community. Learn more atgowell.com.ph. 

Comments