Michael Knight: Making His Voice Heard


How does one end up becoming a television network’s official voice? It’s not exactly a common career choice among kids, plus the fact that the opportunity to become one would rarely come up, given how there are only a number of networks in the country. Not even Michael Knight (MK), TV5’s network voice, saw himself in this job when he was young.

“I actually wanted to become a fireman,” he said. “This was after a fire broke out near our house. I saw the firemen in action, and I was amazed by how action-filled their job was and how they save lives.”
 
But as he grew up, it was easy to see that fate was leading him to a different direction.

High school saw MK joining the Glee Club and competing in oratorical contests at Ramon Magsaysay Cubao High School. He quickly became fascinated by the new skills he developed and was inspired to hone them. “I’d read aloud every morning. I’d take a newspaper or a storybook, then I’d read for about 10 minutes a day. I’d also watch Filipino and English TV shows and try to imitate the accent of the announcers,” he shared.

He also dabbled in theater, acting in plays at the famed Metropolitan Theater. In the University of the East Recto where he studied Communication Arts, he became a staple performer in school events, particularly in pageants where’d he be asked to serenade the contestants. “Armed with a Martin Nievera minus-one, I’d make the rounds of all the pageants in UE, from Ms. Dentistry to Ms. Accountancy,” he shared with a laugh. 

Taking a different route

You’d think that with such a path, MK would immediately plunge into a career in media. But that wasn’t the case. In fact, his initial foray into the working world couldn’t be further from the said industry.

“My first job was that of a supervisor. Sounds good, right? Except we were mainly asked to distribute flyers on our first day! I decided not to pursue it,” he said.  

His second job was just as peculiar: a money sorter at a bank – it’s exactly what the title says. “They’d give us bundles of bills and we would sort those from the oldest to the newest bill. Every single day!” He exclaimed. “A month in, I decided I wasn’t cut out for the job. Not to mention my hands were so filthy all the time! So I resigned.”

The banking world’s loss became radio’s gain. One of MK’s professors from UE, radio DJ Sonny Laragan, got in touch with him with a job proposal. Sonny, who owned a stall at Shoppesville in Greenhills, wanted to build an in-house radio station at the said mall and was looking to get him as a DJ. “That gave birth to WRS Radio Shoppesville, and that’s where I started my career,” he said. “I played songs and did announcements. I really enjoyed what I was doing.” 

Finding his way to radio

His WRS experience boosted his courage to finally apply at a professional radio station. And fortunately, such opportunity came at the right time: her best friend’s boyfriend, who was with The Gentle Wind 102.7, mentioned that they were looking for DJs. MK applied, got in, and was christened as DJ MB Christian.

As with most newbies, he got the graveyard shift of 3-6 am. “I didn’t mind the schedule. I simply loved being able to play songs – it brought back memories of listening to music with my father who introduced me to great artists like The Beatles, Elvis Presley, and Nat King Cole,” he said. “But more than anything, the experience confirmed that radio was really what I wanted to do.”

The station closed down a year later, but MK would soon be back on-air, specifically at Kiss Jazz 1011 as DJ Michael. He remembers the experience with such fondness, having been trained there by “the most remarkable people.” This included then station manager Al Torres, who was (and still is) GMA 7’s network voice. 

One time, MK chanced upon Al practicing his scripts for GMA 7, and that’s when a new dream was born. “I decided that I wanted to be a voice-over also. I wanted to be like Al and become a network voice as well,” he said.

When Kiss Jazz 1011 was sold to a new owner, MK found himself moving to Kool 106, the radio station of then budding network TV 5. It was there that DJ Michael Knight was born, and he was easily a hit among listeners.

It was also there that MK’s dream of following Al’s footsteps saw fruition. “TV 5’s network voice resigned, and all of us Kool DJs were asked to audition. Luckily, they chose me. And just like that, another dream of mine came true! ” He exclaimed. “I remember my mom being very happy for me. She was my biggest fan, and that was all the validation I needed.”

Coming full circle

In 2009, MK retired from radio, but he still remains as TV 5’s network voice and is in-demand as an events host and voice talent (you might have heard him on Star Awards and political ads among others).

He’s also ventured into teaching. Inspired by the way he was mentored by radio luminaries, MK now teaches young students at Scuola de Bambini International Montessori the art of radio broadcasting.

“In this next phase of my life, I've realized that it's time for me to give back and pass on to others what I’ve learned from the magnificent and unselfish people I've met and learned from in all the years of my TV and radio life,” he said.

And he’s more than just a teacher to the kids – he’s also a life mentor. Where he used to be addressed as DJ MB Christian, DJ Michael, or DJ Michael Knight, he now goes by Daddy MK in the school, being a second father to his students.

“I teach them what I can about radio, and also about life. I scold them when needed,” he said. “I make an effort to teach them lessons that will set them off to a good future.”

Many years later, he’s still making his voice heard. And how.

Comments

  1. A very inspiring person. You inspire me a lot Daddy MK, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A person who knows how to appreciate things...
    He has the heart to his colleagues...

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you angelika. thank you t.michael.

    ReplyDelete
  4. there are no words... I am so proud of you mike- of what you have become. you have a pure soul my friend.. may your path continue to be filled with light and love and may God smile down on you each and everyday.. continue to be the inspiration to everyone out there the way you were meant to be..

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment